Between Shahjahani gate and Buland Darwaza on the right hand side is situated the Akbari Mosque erected by Akbar with red sand stone, A religious institution (madarsa) has been located in this mosque called Darul-uloom.
Mir Osman Ali Khan, The Nizam of Hyderabad Deccan, erected the main gate of the Dargah Sharif in 1911. Upstairs small drums beat, during the day and night at an appointed hour. A view of Dargah Bazaar can be seen from the top of the gate.
Immediately following the Nizam gate is the Shahjahani gate erected by Emperor Shahjahan. Before the construction of the Nizam Gate this used to be the main gate. Above the gate the Kalma Sharif is inscribed in a beautiful style. The doors are made of fine timber covered with silver-plated metal. In the building above the gate there are two huge beating drums.
Buland Darwaza is a high entrance that was erected by Mahmood Khilji or one of his successors. Before the commencement of Urs Sharif a flag is hoisted on top of this gate with grand ceremony on the 25th Jamadiulsaani for ushering the 'Urs' of Khwaja Saheb, which starts from 1st of Rajab (The 7th month of lunar Calendar).
This gate too is situated on the western side of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Gaiti Ara. The doors of the gate are covered with silver metal. It is opened only four times during the year, viz twice on ids (for one day) during the annual Urs (for six days) and on the 6th of Shawwal, the Urs of Khwaja Saheb's Pir.
Overhanging the principal eastern to the Shrine or Mausoleum, there is a handsome porch known as Begami Daalaan which was built in 1643 AD by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, the favorite daughter of Emperor Shah Jahan. The walls and the beautiful marble pillars of the Begami Daalaan were done in colorful gold in 1888 AD. Later on, the ceiling of this Daalaan was also embellished in gold with the money donated by a Muslim merchant of Bombay. This beautiful portico was used by the Begams or ladies of the Moghul harem during their frequent visits to the shrine.
In memory of Queen Mary's visit to the Shrine, the roof of the tank was constructed by the British Government for the convenience of the worshippers.
The Mazar of Bibi Hafiz Jamal, daughter of Khwaja Sahib, is situated to the south of the Shrine. There is a small dome with a kalas on top of it. The doors of this tomb are plated with silver.The two enclosures situated just outside the southern gate of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Bibi-Hafiz Jamal bear the graves of some of the early descendants. The Holy Quran is recited by the devotees especially by ladies in these enclosures and the reward of this virtuous action is offered to the noble soul of Hazrat Khwaja Saheb.
There are two simultaneous entrances to the Shrine through the Begami Daalaan. The doors of both of them are mounted with heavy silverplate carved in ornamental details. The tomb is of white marble inlaid with pieces of precious stones and is daily bestrewed with sandal-paste and Itars (perfumes). It is always covered with very costly ‘ghilaafs’ (coverings made of velvet and silk) embroidered with pleasing gold and silver tracings. Over the tomb, there is a silver ‘chaparkhat’ (canopy) inlaid with pieces of mother-of-pearl presented by Emperor Jahangir. Between the four poles supporting this `chaparkhat’, there is silver `katehra’ (railing) with an arch towards the south. There is another outer silver katehra running around the tomb at a distance of about 2 feet. The devotees are led into this space to offer flowers and prayers over the tomb. The ceiling of the dome is covered by a costly velvet chatgiri. A peculiar kind of fascinating aroma prevails in the shrine which inspires the visitors with a spontaneous and irresistible urge for devotion and homage towards the asleep saint. As soon as one enters the interior of the shrine, he feels as if he is in the presence of some exalted soul or mighty spiritual king.
On the west of the Saham Chiragh stands the magnificent building of Samakhana or Mahfilkhana (auditorium with darbar hall) which was built by Nawab Bashir-ud-Dowla Sir Asmaan Jah of Hyderabad Deccan in 1888-91 A.D. This spacious hall is 46 feet square with a gallery of 14 feet running around it. It is used for 6 days only during the annual Urs for religious ‘Mahfils’ in which Qawwali is the chief item of program commencing at 11 P.M. and ending with Fatiha (a religious ceremony) in the early hours of morning at 4 A.M.
On the south wing of the Mahfil khana stands the Jama Masjid or Shah Jahani Mosque, which is a fine piece of Moghul architecture. All the 99 sacred names of Allah with 33 Quranic verses are beautifully inscribed in the mosque.
Copyright © 2012 - All Rights Reserved
Designed by Kirnani Technologies